Music - and singing in particular - plays a big part in life at Wilberforce Primary. We pride ourselves on the fact that every child has the opportunity to learn how to play an instrument before they leave Wilberforce Primary and that our pupils are confident and enthusiastic performers.
We celebrate our musical talents through our annual Christmas music concert and end of year performance. We also sing in class as well as during our weekly singing assemblies. We believe that singing benefits pupils’ language development and increases their self-confidence.
We offer a curriculum which develops the following musical characteristics:
- A rapidly widening repertoire which pupils use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composition and performance work;
- A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation ad knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of technical expertise;
- Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres;
- An excellent understanding of how musical provenance – the historical, social and cultural origins of music – contributes to the diversity of musical styles;
- The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately;
- A palpable excitement for a diverse range of musical activities.